Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Orlando: Part 2 (The! Magic! Kingdom!)



On our third full day in Orlando we (all of us, as the conferences had wrapped) headed to the Magic Kingdom. It was Will and Hallie’s first visit, and my first visit in many years and with children in tow. I have always loved Disney World – I find there to be a great deal of truth in their “happiest place on earth” slogan – and I felt tremendous joy as I watched Will and Hallie experience this land of enchantment for the first time. (And in addition to love for Disney, I now also have a great appreciation for their parks - for their cleanliness, organization, safety, and cost. While I never noticed these things in the past, they were in the forefront of my mind this time around and they made the trip a great one.)

Grandma and Grandpa kindly played with Hallie for much of the day, which meant Tom, AJ, Will, and I were free to ride as many rides as we could before Will crashed. We went visited Stitch’s Great Escape (Grandma joined us for this one), Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, the Astro Orbiter, the Mad Tea Party (I sat this one out due to my motion sickness), Mickey’s PhilharMagic 3-D movie, the Hall of Presidents, the Swiss Family Treehouse, Pirates of the Caribbean, and…Splash Mountain. That’s right readers, four-year-old Will went on Splash Mountain. I was SO proud. As proud as I was when he was potty trained. Maybe prouder.

We also had lunch at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café, snacked on Kadoozee popsicles, watched a Disney character musical production on the steps of Cinderella’s Castle, and watched a Disney Character parade as the day wound down. The day was amazing, and one I will always remember.

So excited!


"Cindy Lou Who" (in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday today), Grandma, and Minnie Mouse. Minnie Mouse = LOVE.


Hallie and Tom at lunch.


On and after riding the teacups.


Attempting to pull out the Sword in the Stone, saying hello to Dumbo, and riding the Merry-Go-Round.


AJ and Hallie, Tom and his mom/Grandma Susie.


Kadoozees!


Mickey! Mouse! Minnie! Mouse!


Watching the Disney character performance on the steps of Cinderella's Castle.


Family portrait.


Minnie, Goofy, Woody, Jessie, Chip, Dale, Mr. Incredible, and Frozone in the Main Street Parade.


Blast off!


Bigger family portrait.


Minnie spent much of her day going IN! and OUT! of Grandpa's pocket.


Waiting for and riding the ferry.


Farewell Disney World!

No comments: