Friday, April 25, 2008

a new disc golf season



Did I ever mention I like to play disc golf? Will likes it too, and I have taken him golfing with me several times - pushing him along in his stroller with the off-roading 20-inch wheels (it is essential to have the 20-inchers). Last week we went, and I think it was the first time I took Will with me this year. It was a much different experience than when I would take him last year - when he was content to sit in the stroller, chew on his mini-discs and laugh at me when I would hit trees with my disc. This year, since he is now so demanding about being able to walk on his own, he insisted on walking along with me - he did not want to ride in the stroller. I was impressed - the 18-hole course we played is about a mile and a half long, and he walked along for almost half of that. Of course, this also made the round take roughly three times as long. I was finally able to convince him to sit in the stroller for a stretch of holes by giving him some raisins, but he finished the last couple holes on foot.



While he walked along, he always insisted on carrying not one, but two discs - one in each hand. Much time was spent "throwing" the discs (which basically meant dropping them) and then bending over to pick them up. Occasionally he would let me know that he needed to swap out and get a different disc from my bag - which was attached to the back of the stroller.

A few times I gave Will tasks to go out and fetch some of my discs - this gave me some clearance to throw my discs with a full windup (and not worry about hitting the guy). He would very enthusiastically retrieve them for me.



I love these pictures below - Will is standing on a tee-pad - this is where you throw from to start the hole (it finishes in the basket-looking thing on the left side of the picture at the top of the post). After I threw from here, Will climbed up there as if to say, "ok, my turn to throw!" In a perfect example of imitating me, he sized up the hole for a minute, then took a running start and threw the disc...straight down onto the concrete. He even grunted some when he threw it. I was so proud.

No comments: