Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Wish

My little girl turns three today. Three.

How did we get here? There are no babies in my house. There are no toddlers in my house. There are no bottles, bibs, or highchairs in my kitchen. There are no pacifiers, mobiles, or cribs in the bedrooms. And there are no playmats, exersaucers, or bumbos in my living room.

Instead, there are children making their own breakfasts in my kitchen. There are children READING books in their bedrooms. And there are action figures, Legos, and dollhouses in my living room.


My YOUNGEST child is a three-going-on-13 year-old preschooler.


This last year has been one of milestones for Hallie: she graduated from a crib to a big girl bed, started preschool, traded her suckers to the Sucker Fairy for a pink jump rope, and basically potty trained herself. (After I tried for months to potty train her, she pretty much decided one Friday morning that she would DO IT ALL BY HER BIG GIRL SELF that day).

Hallie loves absolutely anything pink; pretty dresses and shoes; preschool; Hello Kitty, Minnie Mouse, princesses, and ballerinas; picking flowers; Sesame Street; and coloring, painting, and covering any and all surfaces with stickers. Oh, and antagonizing her brother. That might be her favorite thing of all.

My little spitfire is ridiculously stubborn and spicy, but she's also extremely outgoing, enthusiastic, diplomatic, and organized. Even at just three years old she is confident in who she is, knows where she's going, and refuses to live her life in anyone's shadow. She was born with a flare for the dramatic and a song in her heart. A very LOUD song.

It doesn't seem possible, but Hallie simultaneously makes my heart swell with love and pride, drives me to the brink of insanity, and scares the crap out of me.

One of Hallie's favorite songs is "My Wish", by the Rascal Flatts. She knows all of the words, and sings along at the top of her lungs whenever the song comes on the radio or we play the CD in the car.

I hope the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
And each road lead you where you want to go.
And if you're faced with the choice and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one who means the most to you.

And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' 'til you find a window.
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile.

I hope you never look back but you never forget
All the ones who love you and the place you left.
I hope you always forgive and you never regret
And you help somebody every chance you get.

I hope you'd find God's grace in every mistake and always give more than you take.
But more than anything, more than anything...

My wish for you is that your life becomes all that you want it to.
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
You never need to carry more than you can hold.
And while you're out there gettin' where you're gettin' to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too.
This is my wish.




I couldn't have said it any better, my lovely girl. May you always walk with the same purpose and confidence that you do today, and know that should you stumble, I will be there to pull you to your feet.

Happy birthday, Hallie Claire.


4 comments:

Sara Ekena said...

Happy birthday sweet girl! We love you so much :)

Rachel said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday!

Rachel said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday!

Thomas Ferris said...

great post, I'm tearing up at work. Nice job Erin.