Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Festivities Continue

My parents hadn't thrown a large-scale Christmas party in six years, so they decided that 2012 - when all of their children, children's spouses, and grandchildren were in town - was the year to go for it again.

The funny thing about entertaining, for me at least, is that it causes me a great deal of stress and anxiety in the days prior. I like party planning, but as the day of the event approaches, I ALWAYS consider calling it off so that I don't actually have to follow through on everything I planned. But for some reason, as soon as the doorbell rings for the first time, I can turn "it" (whatever "it" is) on and I end up having a great time. (Tom is exactly the same way, interestingly enough.)

I thought my parents' plan to have a party was a great one, and I thoroughly enjoyed coming up with the menu and pulling together the guest list. But once we started shopping for the food, selecting the beer and wine options, putting together the playlist, and cleaning the house, I turned into a bear. (And it wasn't because I had to clean the house - I don't mind cleaning the house at all.) My mom had to give me a serious attitude adjustment, just like she often did when I was a teenager.

But once the house was ready and I was dressed in my party attire, I felt like a million bucks. Bring on the partying, I said to no one in particular, and our friends and family did.

It was a fantastic evening. I was able to catch up with aunts, uncles, and cousins; camping family aunts, uncles, cousins, and 3rd generation cousins; friends and their families; and neighbors and their families. Even Tom's parents were able to come, which was a lovely treat. (Tom and I are tremendously lucky that our families get along so well.)
Sneaking crackers before the party started.
Yes, we dress them in matching outfits most of the time.
Bartender Jeff - he rocked it, seriously.
(Tom took this picture on his phone, and then walked around the
party using the photo as a drink menu.  Very clever, those boys.)
The table, just moments before the party began.
(But after Hallie'd started in on the crackers.)
Sisters 
Colin, Dan, and Lauren
Connie, Jane, Marsha, Grandma Brenda, and Emily
Chuck, Jim, and John
The little girls: Sophia, Sydney, Taya, Lily, and Hallie
Hallie and Will, hiding in the basement.
Megan and Hallie
Cousin cuddles at the end of the night.
Sara, Chris, Jessica, Thomas, me, and Katy
Grandpa Mike and Grandma Susie spent the night after the party at Grandma Brenda and Grandpa Paul's house, so the next morning the kids were in 7th heaven with all four of their grandparents doting on them.
Playing games on Grandma's iPad.
Winner!
Perhaps we won't wait another six years before we throw the next Mueller/Ferris/Ekena Christmas bash - watch for us again in 2014!

No comments: