Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dear Jesus

Hallie is obsessed with writing notes. Writing letters. Writing birthday cards. Oh, and writing cursive. (Does anyone even write in cursive anymore? I know I don't, and I can't remember the last time I used the word "cursive", so I have no idea how she even knows that cursive is a form of writing.

Anyway...

Hallie spends at least an hour and sometimes up to three hours a day working on her notes, letters, and cards. She writes them to everyone - me, Tom, Will, her grandmas and grandpas, her aunts and uncles, her cousins, her teachers, the kids in her class, her friends from gymnastics, the list goes on, and on, and on. Every single creation is covered in color and stickers, and then she usually uses a second piece of paper to build an envelope in which to store or mail the card. (Those of you reading are probably now wondering why you're not receiving these cards in the mail. It's because of financial reasons, as in if I mailed every single card Hallie created I could single-handedly pay for the post office to keep Saturday mail delivery going.) They're all bee-you-tee-ful, but I only keep about one out of every 25 cards because I just don't have room to store them all.

Last week Hallie brought me a card she'd finished and asked me if I could send it for her. "Who's the card for?" I asked. "Jesus," she replied.

When I explained that it could be difficult to mail a card to Jesus, she rolled her eyes and in a tone that clearly expressed her belief that I was an idiot, explained that all I needed to do was put a stamp on the card, address the card to "Jesus in Heaven", and put the card in the mailbox.

Instead I took a picture of the card, filed it away in my "keep for Hallie" box, and wrote a blog post about it.
Yes, her "J" is backwards, but otherwise you can totally tell that she wrote "Jesus".