Thursday, June 7, 2012

Marshmallow Madness

While cleaning out my kitchen cabinets I came across a half-full bag of stale mini-marshmallows and a box of toothpicks. I decided to knock out both snack and an afternoon activity with one stone and set the items out on the kitchen table for the kids.

Will and Hallie spent an impressive 30+ minutes building structures, animals, words, and shapes of all kinds, and oddly enough, neither ate a single marshmallow. Those puppies must have been REALLY stale...

To get them started, I built this:


After I showed Will how to make a triangle, he was able to copy my design and build his own tower. He was pretty proud of himself, and I was pretty impressed.


Hallie made birthday candles, and then, after a little direction, shapes:


Will also made a porcupine fish, and then we connected our towers to make a "cage" for Will's Angry Bird.


Not bad for a Wednesday afternoon!

No comments: