Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Will likes the dad-train

We go for a lot of walks, sometimes in the morning before I go to the lab. We usually have about 45 minutes between when Will has finished his breakfast and when he needs to go down for his morning nap, so that's our window of opportunity to walk with him. Usually toward the end of the walk, he starts getting sleepy and threatens to fall asleep in the stroller. This would be bad because then he would wake up from dozing in the stroller for just a few minutes, and think he had just taken his morning nap so he won't go back to sleep. This usually results in a grumpy boy, and deprives mom of her morning's 45 minutes of peace.

So one tactic to keep Will from falling asleep in the stroller is to pick him up and carry him and push the empty stroller. While he's pretty tolerant of being carried in the normal fashion, he REALLY likes it when I put him up on my shoulders like this. Or as I call it, 'riding the dad-train'. I can never see his face but Erin says he immediately gets a huge grin on his face and gets very excited.



We went for a morning walk a few days ago, and for whatever reason, it seemed like this was the first time that Will realized my face was on the other side of the back of my head. He is very familiar with the dad-train, but I'm not sure he ever entirely connected it to dad. Since making this new discovery, he tried very hard to lean over to see me, as you can see. Then he put his fingers in my mouth and nose like he always does, had a great time with it. When we got home he still was having fun on the train so we took a few quick pictures.


No comments: